Academic Freedom

I don't think a grade I got is justified. What recourse do I have?


University policy indicates that the faculty member is responsible for teaching the material and evaluating student performance. The judgment of faculty members won’t be overruled unless they depart from professional norms. The student should ask for an explanation of the grade and try to resolve any disagreements with the instructor. The student may also reach out to the department head or the college dean’s office to seek advice and assistance about how to move forward.

If a disagreement cannot be resolved, an undergraduate student may follow the Grade Mediation and Adjudication procedures found here:

The content of this website is for informational purposes only and should not be understood as legal advice. For help with any legal problems or concerns, including those similar to the situations described herein, a licensed attorney should be contacted. The contributors to this site do not claim or guarantee that the information provided is or will be accurate, correct, or effective in any particular situation, and should not serve as a substitute for competent legal counsel.